Thursday, April 29, 2021

Lunch - Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup

I like squash, but I don't cook it much. I don't think too far outside of the box and remember my mom taking the time to cook it in the oven as a side dish. And I seem to prefer an all in one meal. Well, enough excuses because I've found this soup. If you want directions for stovetop cooking, see the website. I made this soup on the weekend, stopping by to stir on occasion, used the immersion blender and boom, lunch was ready for the week.

Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup

adapted from the website hostthetoast.com


Prep Time: 15 mins, Cook Time: 35 mins, Total Time: 50 minutes, Yield: 4


2 cloves garlic, minced

1 small yellow onion, diced

1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated

2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste

2 cups vegetable broth

1 medium-sized butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1″ cubes (about 4 cups)

1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk, divided

Juice of 1 lime

1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste

Naan, to serve, optional


INSTRUCTIONS

If making in the slow cooker: Add butternut squash, garlic, onion, ginger, Thai curry paste, broth, and salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to evenly distribute. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 3-4 hours. 


Pour the soup into a blender in batches and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender to blend in the slow cooker. Before serving, turn off the slow cooker and mix in the coconut milk (saving a few tablespoons to garnish) and lime juice (if using). Mix well. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired, and add sriracha to taste for extra spice, if using. Pour into bowls and drizzle the remaining coconut milk on top. Swirl the coconut milk with a spoon. Serve warm with naan bread.