Friday, April 9, 2021

Versatile - Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup


Here's a great versatile vegan tomato soup to combine with a protein for dinner or a carb/starch for lunch. The coconut milk gives this an amazing depth of flavor.  And I always think the vegetable broth does that as well. Give it a try. The original recipe called for 4 tablespoons of cashew butter. I opted to swap in the coconut milk per the authors own suggestion. I have some almond butter in the fridge but not cashew, and I know specialty nut butters can be expensive. So I tried the suggestion to sub the coconut milk, and I won't try it with the cashew butter! I like the way it turned out with the substitution! Plus I also substituted honey for the maple syrup. The original recipe calls for using an immersion blender, but since my soup was too thick and the blender wouldn't work I put mine in the blender to pulverize and changed the directions accordingly. 


Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup

from highcarbhannah.co

1 28 oz can diced tomatoes

1/2 yellow onion, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 cup vegetable broth

1/2 cup full fat coconut milk 

1 tbsp honey

1 tbsp Italian seasoning

1 tbsp dried basil

1/2 tsp ground cayenne (optional)

2 carrots, chopped

1 medium zucchini, chopped

Fresh basil for topping


Place a saucepan over medium heat and add a few tablespoons of water or coconut oil to the pan. Add in your minced garlic and onions and saute for 5 minutes.


Add in the rest of your ingredients (except the coconut milk) and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes.


When the soup is done, add in your coconut milk and pulverize in a blender.