Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Lunch - Pasta With Kale Pesto

This recipe originally didn't call for making the sauce into a pesto. Rather, it had you finely chop the kale. I liked the flavors that I got, but not the chomping on the kale! Lol! It also called for bacon, which I ditched to make it Food Combining compliant. I tried adding butter to substitute for the fatty flavor in the bacon, but just gave up on it. I also found a brown rice penne and these two together, well, I think I could eat this every day! Grateful to have found another pasta staple for the cupboard! And I can't wait until summer. If I plant kale in the garden I can just never use it up without giving a bunch to the chickens! And one more note, the vegetable broth contributes highly to the glorious flavor of this dish. 






Pasta with Kale Pesto

Adapted from Martha Stewart website

3 servings 


3 garlic cloves, smashed and diced

1 bunch of kale, stems trimmed and leaves chopped

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

2 cups veggie broth

3/4 cups penne brown rice pasta (3 servings worth)


Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain.


Meanwhile, cook garlic in skillet over medium heat until golden, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. Add half of the kale, tossing until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add remaining kale, season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing until all the kale has wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and simmer until kale is tender, about 10 minutes.


Carefully transfer to a blender and carefully pulse until mixture resembles a pesto.


Divide pasta into three servings and pour pesto on top.