Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Lunch - Two Serving - Summer Squash (Zucchini) Enchiladas

This has been a favorite recipe of mine for some time. I like to note my recipe sources so I can go back and look for more great recipes from the same source. But I've lost the provenance on this one! I've also tried doing some google searching for it, with no luck. Anyhow, I was able to adapt it to fit a Food Combining lunch and reduce to two generous servings to fit my meal planning. 


2 tablespoons butter

cup brown rice flour

1 teaspoons chili powder

1 cups rice milk 

1 cups grated vegan cheese 

Salt and pepper to taste

3 cups diced summer squash

1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

¾ cups diced onion

2 garlic cloves, minced

1 minced fresh jalapeños, to taste

18 corn tortillas

1½ cups diced tomatoes


In a small saucepan, melt butter and stir in the flour and chili powder to make a thick paste. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring well after each addition to make a smooth cream sauce. Add the cheese and heat on simmer to melt cheese slowly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm.


Preheat oven to 400º. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch pan.


In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onion, garlic and peppers until softened and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes. Add the squash and sauté until tender crisp, and 5 minutes. Add the about of the cream sauce to the sauté pan and stir to coat well.


To assemble the enchiladas, spoon some of the filling onto each tortilla and roll. Place seam side down on the baking dish. Spoon the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with the tomatoes. Bake for 30 minutes, until the enchiladas are heated through. Serve immediately.