Monday, June 24, 2019

Dinners on the Food Combining Plan: Veg and Protein

These meals have been the easiest for me. I shouldn’t say that, though, as breakfast is truly the easiest. But this is most like the meals we are used to, but I just end up doubling the vegetables or turning a classic meal into a salad and ditching the carbs. The best examples are taco salad and pork carnita salad. One Food Combining rule that I need to mention here is that they say not to combine proteins. And this is because of two reasons—if you eat more than one protein you simply get too much protein. The second reason is that you may get two proteins that require different digestive juices which can give your system a hard time. Which means you may get some of your symptoms back. I try to follow this, but in some cases I have made exceptions that are working for me. 






Another easy thing I have been doing is adding a romaine salad as a side with (usually) Newman’s Own Classic Oil And Vinegar dressing. Next time you’re in the market start reading ingredients labels on dressings. Almost all have added sugar, whether by the name sugar or something else! That’s how I ended up trying this dressing (it passed my scrutiny!) and after six months on this plan I get excited when I get to have a salad. I love vinegar! 


Chicken with cauliflower rice and a romaine salad with Newman's dressing


Roast chicken, carrots and asparagus


Tomato stuffed with tuna mix, vegan mozzarella, asparagus


Chicken tenders with roasted zucchini


Pork chop from a cast iron skillet, asparagus and romaine salad with Newman's dressing

My most favorite new dinner meal is my Meatza Pizza! I combined two recipes from The 21 Day Sugar Detox by Diane Sanfilippo (I am a deer hunter and ground all of my trimmings with pork this year and have been so satisfied to use this for my pizzas!) and shredded zucchini. This is where my spiralizer comes into the picture: you trim the ends from your zucchini and place in the spiralizer and then turn the crank. Your end product is zucchini noodles! There are different shaped blades you can use to create different sized noodles too. So I combine the ground meat and spiralized zucchini with one egg, and a half teaspoon of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and oregano. I have tried some small combinations of combining proteins without a problem so I continue to do it in moderation. Cuz I gotta eat! So I take a cookie sheet and cover it with a piece of foil,  and spray the foil with EVOO spray, then add the mixed ingredients and form and flatten to look like the pizza of your dreams! Bake at 350º for 20 minutes which you prep your toppings of choice. I use home made pizza sauce, green olives, vegan cheese and a little goat cheese. The books I’ve read about Food Combining say that goat cheese is easier to digest than cow cheeses. It comes in a log or in a crumble like feta and also tastes similar to feta. If I have other ingredients around I may add them, it kinda makes for too much food though! These might include onion, broccoli and ...... If using onion it worked well for me to add to the meat and zucchini mix so it cooks longer. When you first take this out of the oven raise the oven temp to 425º. After you’ve added your toppings put it back in the oven for ten minutes. After that you're ready to eat. Using the foil makes it easier to plate your pizza. This is not one to pick up and eat like a carb pizza, but rather a knife and fork adventure to enjoy because you’re brain thinks “pizza” and your body says “this is not a problem food”! I will share the recipe below and others to follow in other posts. My main goal of this blog to get more information out there about Food Combining and share my successes at modifying recipes to #healthyaf and #megaveg!



P.S. : Very popular with my grandnieces!


Mojo Meatza Pizza
inspired by recipes in Sugar Detox

Heat the oven to 350℉.

Shred one zucchini in a spiralizer. 

In a large bowl combine:
the zucchini
1 egg
¼ pound of ground beef or venison
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon oregano

Layer a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with olive oil spray, then form the mixture into a round pizza. Bake for twenty minutes.

Prep your toppings while the meatza bakes. I use:
Homemade pizza sauce
Spinach
Tomato
Black olives
Green olives
Onion
Mushrooms
Vegan shredded cheddar and mozzarella
Goat cheese and shredded goat cheese 

After twenty minutes remove from the oven. Increase oven temp to 425℉. Add your toppings and bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.