Monday, June 17, 2019

Lunches on the Food Combining Plan: Veg and Starch



 Romaine and cabbage salad with sweet potato fries and ranch dressing

Lunches have been, by far, the hardest part to figure out on the Food Combining Plan. Vegetables and a starch. Not what I normally ate together, without meat I guess I should say. So the first month and probably beyond I was eating a lot of salads with sweet potato fries. This was good, but I can only do a big serious salad only occasionally. I mean seriously, that’s a lot of chewing and thereby a lot of time to eat it. I have been working diligently to subtract the meat and protein from meals, my all-time favorite substitution is my cauliflower tacos!



Wrap with cucumber, matchstick carrots, purple cabbage and ranch dressing

I should also list other approved “starches” — corn (so I’m going with corn taco shells), potatoes, sweet potatoes, brown rice (and all it’s products, such as pasta and crackers), quinoa and other grains I don’t have in my cupboard. Today’s lunch is a vegetable soup with brown rice and a side salad (my preferred salad!) of romaine. I also have a brown rice and chia bread that I make and it’s delicious!




#megaveg stir fry served over quinoa

I happily found my way to a healthy choice at Subway also! I love the Veggie Delight wrap with lettuce, spinach, tomato, cucumber, black olives, pickles, pickled peppers and some ranch dressing. But it’s about 7 or 8 dollars, so I have been buying the ingredients and making my own so that I can afford to have them more often!


Vegetable soup, romaine salad with radish and Newman's dressing, slice of toasted quinoa brown rice bread with an itty bit of butter

I also have been eating soups, stir fries and a great Veggie Lo Mein. I’ll be sharing all of these recipes as I go along here.


Veggie stir fry over brown rice

Another favorite lunch is Spaghetti With 3 Tomatoes Sauce. I can have this over zoodles and add a starch such as brown rice crackers, but I prefer to have this over brown rice noodles with a side salad of romaine. This recipe is one that I tweaked years ago from Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine. It hits the spot for this tomato lover!