Tuesday, June 11, 2019

My Adventures In Food Combining

I first heard about Food Combining in a book my health coach advised. It was mentioned only briefly but in short it sounded like it focused on healthy digestion and also as a happy bi-product that someone on this plan could see significant weight loss as their body heads back towards its natural set point. 

It sounded too good to be true. I was dealing with everything from acid reflux, burping, gas and diarrhea. Not to mention weight gain and migraines. Two years earlier I had tried doing the Elimination Diet. In this plan you clean up what you're eating until your system has calmed down, then you slowly and deliberately re-introduce foods to determine if they are a trigger food for you. I retested a couple of things, but ultimately I got all the way through the program with no real triggers discovered. But one happy bi-product of the Elimination Diet was that I saw a great drop in the number of migraines I was having. 

I approached my health coach for help because my migraines were becoming crippling. In the fall before I started Food Combining every month I kept worrying about running out of my prescription to take a migraine down once it had started. Insurance allows only 8 pills a month. After a multi-day migraine my neurologist had me drive to Willmar for an infusion of the liquid version of this drug and some pain meds. It was getting pretty bad, and I kept remembering my migraine results from the Elimination Diet. But since I didn't feel like I found answers on that plan I was on the hunt for something else, which is when I found the mention of Food Combining in Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat

I checked the library card catalog and couldn't find anything, so I went to Amazon and found a book by Kathryn Marsden and ordered it. Soon after I also ordered the classic book from the 50s by Herbert Shelton called Food Combining Made Easy. Between the two of these books I clambered together enough information about Food Combining to give it a start for the new year. Essentially your focus is on what foods you eat with other foods. Fruit digests faster than any other food, so you eat it by itself for breakfast. If you're having melon have it alone as it goes through super fast. Then lunch is starch and vegetables. While dinner is protein and vegetables. I will elaborate more on what I've learned about each of these meals as well as snacks and liquids as we go along in other posts. I will also go in depth on how I am transforming recipes and making them #healthyaf and full of vegetables (#megaveg). I want to end this introduction with the fact that I feel amazing and have seen significant weight loss. And I don't feel like I'm missing out or being denied anything. Well, maybe in a restaurant! But not when I'm cooking for myself, which is most of the time!