I don't serve these in tortillas anymore, now I serve them over romaine. This recipe makes a HUGE amount of food. When I have leftovers I individually bag up the meat with extra sauce in individual bags, and I successfully used an ice cube tray to freeze my salsa verde so I had control of the portions and could ration them out along with the meat! Delicious! I don't add any other sauces or seasonings, but you could easily add salsa if you think you need it. The meat is seasoned so beautifully that I don't need it or want anything more.
Pork Carnitas and Salsa Verde Cruda
From BHG
1/2 cup coarsely chopped white onion
6 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried parsley or thyme
Pinch of ground cumin
4 whole cloves, stems removed
1 tablespoon canola oil
4 to 5 pound boneless pork shoulder or butt, cut into 2-inch chunks
2 bay leaves
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
1 recipe salsa verde cruda
Sliced radishes
In a blender add 1-1/2 cups water, onion, garlic, oregano, parsley or thyme, cumin, cloves, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Blend smooth.
In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork; top with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brown pork 10 minutes, turn occasionally.
Pour onion mixture over pork. Bring to a simmer, cook 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in bay leaves, juice, and milk. Cover; simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat pulls apart easily, stirring occasionally. Uncover; simmer 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Discard bay leaves. Skim fat from liquid. Shred meat with a fork; toss with cooking liquid to moisten, if desired. Serve meat with romaine and radishes.
Salsa Verde Cruda
1 pound tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and halved
1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded, and peeled
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped white onion
1 jalapeno chile pepper, stemmed and seeded
In a blender combine tomatillos, avocado, onion, chile pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Blend smooth. Makes 2 cups.
